A Guide to House and Land Packages in Perth
If you’re thinking about buying a house and land package in Perth, it’s important to understand what’s involved and how the process will work. House and land packages are usually offered in master-planned new estates that have been specifically designed to create new communities but can also be offered in inner-city suburbs where older, large family homes have been demolished and the land subdivided and on-sold. Here are the important things you need to know before signing on the dotted line.
How does buying a house and land package work?
Buying a house and land package is exciting. It involves choosing both the block of land where you want to live and then choosing your dream home design. It is a way of building a home that makes the whole process much more straight forward, but it is important to keep a few things in mind.
Normally, with house and land packages, you will be purchasing the land from a developer (that owns the land) and home from the builder you choose, with the builder managing the land side of things on your behalf. This means there are two contracts.
All house and land packages are different and what is included will vary from builder to builder, so it’s important to be across it before committing to a contract. Most packages include the necessary fittings for kitchen, bathroom, flooring and electrical points without any changes to the original floorplan; everything that makes the house livable. Where you may want to add on to a standard package is to include air-conditioning, landscaping, fencing, carpets, blinds and benchtop upgrades.
With New Level we offer turnkey packages so you don’t need to worry about all the extra finishing items that you may with other builders, making getting into your new home a breeze!
Other elements of building a home that may not be included in the package price are legal fees and taxes. It is important to consider fees like stamp duty and legal representation to liaise with the developer and builder to ensure all council regulations are adhered to before the home is officially handed over to you.
Once all the fine details of what your new home will look like have been agreed upon, construction will begin. Construction will take place in four stages:
- Slab down – The concrete foundation of the house is poured.
- Walls and roof up – The house now has walls and a roof!
- Lock-up stage – The house is able to be secured. It will have lockable doors and windows with smaller details left to be finished.
- Final completion – The house is move-in ready and suitable to live in. If your package didn’t include certain floorings, driveway, fencing or other non-essentials, these won’t be completed at the time of handover and you’ll need to organise these yourself.
Are house and land packages a good idea?
There are a number of benefits of buying a house and land package, including:
- The ability to custom design your home, including both its interior and exterior design. You can personalise your home and all of its finished to suit your individual tastes. You can also choose between hybrid or fully framed construction methods.
- The ability to include modern energy-efficient and environmentally friendly features and appliances. That will enable you to both lower your power bills and your carbon footprint!
- The excitement of watching your home being built. It’s a great feeling seeing it progress from a concrete slab through to framing, lock-up, fit-out and final completion.
- Getting the $10,000 First Home Owner Grant if you meet the eligibility requirements.
- Getting to move into a brand-new home, rather than an older one that is likely to require more repairs and maintenance work.
- Lower initial loan repayments. That’s because you don’t need to borrow the full amount straight away. All you need to do is buy the land first, and you progressively fund the building of your home as construction milestones are reached.
- Becoming a foundation member of a new, master-planned community.
How we can help
At New Level, we have a huge range of innovative and affordable two-storey house and land packages available across Perth. We have more than 60 two-storey home designs that are under $300,000, built in a fraction of the time of traditional methods, without compromising on quality. Our years of building experience guarantee high-quality work.
Contact us to find out more or you can see some of our designs at our display homes that are currently in the following Perth locations:
We’d be happy to answer any questions you may have about our house and land packages!
09 Mar 2020